Should there be anyone out there who still doubts Skoda as a driveway option, their new five and seven-seat Kodiaq SUV, will eliminate all prejudices.
With prices starting at €28,795 for the five-seat, 1.4TSi, 125bhp variant, the seven seater requiring an extra €1,000, the Kodiaq offers space aplenty and via its three trim levels of Active, Ambition and Style, gives the customer exactly what they desire. No question, the Kodiaq is very impressive.
Albeit my test drive was at the Irish launch, where time and distance were limited, the Kodiak showed enough of its talents to place it firmly on your test-drive list.
Make: Skoda, Model: Kodiaq, Format: Sports Utility Vehicle, Seats: Five and Seven seat, Drive: Front and 4-wheel drive, Engines: 1.4TSi, (125 & 150bhp), 2.0TDi, (150 & 190bhp), Transmission: 6-speed manual & 6 & 7-speed DSG automatic, Annual Road Tax: €280 - €390, Boot space: 720 litres, expanding to 2,065 litres with rear seats folded on 5-seater, 270 litres, expanding to 2005 litres on 7-seater, Towing capacity: 2,500kgs
Some of the Competition: KIA Sorrento, Ford Kuga, Nissan X-Trail, Hyundai Santa Fe, Audi Q5, Land Rover Discovery Sport
Irish car parks are evidence of the popularity of the SUV and Crossover phenomena. The Kodiaq will slip easily into the profile, its distinctive front grill, bonnet and body line very easy to look at. It is a substantial offering, standing 4,697mm long, with a wheelbase of 2,791mm and a width of 1.882mm. Full LED headlights are standard, the rear common with LED tech as standard also.
Interestingly, the Kodiaq weighs in at 1,752kgs and comes with a towing capacity of 2,500kgs, which allows for a twin axel horsebox of 920kgs, with two horses weighing 725kgs and a driver, to cumulatively weight under the 3,500 tonne allowable under the ‘B’ driving licence – making it a very attractive option for those with gee-gees on the go.
Clean lines and modern, the standard Kodiaq Active is not short on safety and comfort features. With the vast majority of sales expected to be in the 4x4 Style, owners will want for little. The driver's console and centre console are clear and the driving position is excellent, expounding the attraction of these high-rise chariots.
Space was sufficient for my 34” limbs, back and front, the roof height not a problem and the road view clear and unobstructed. While the rear two seats in the 7-seater are better suited to the little folk, those in the middle row have a virtual party zone. Overall fit and finish inside the Kodiaq Style was without complaint. Skoda’s by-line of being ‘Simply Clever’ is evident in the amount of cubbies, and innovative comfort touches it has applied to the Kodiaq. There are covert umbrellas’ in the front doors, hooks to hang stuff on, nets to stop things wandering, an LED torch on the left side of the boot and magical protectors, which mechanically emerge to prevent dings to your front door edges, (standard on Ambition and Style models). There’s even a parking ticket holder slot on the left side of the dash and an ice-scraper on the inside of the fuel lid – nifty stuff!!
On the Road
Out in their 190bhp, 4x4 Style model, the Kodiaq was ideal for the hillcrests and hedgerows of Kildare. Being just a short drive, the Kodiaq nonetheless performed quietly and when provoked showed more than enough enthusiasm to dismiss tarmac.
Personally, I love the DSG transmission, this car coming with a 7-speed transmission. I like manually selecting a gear for steep winding hills and then reverting to the Kodiaq to decide on its gear selection.
With no time or distance to conduct a real-life fuel run the Kodiaq is one car I am looking forward to going on safari with. It has all the ingredients to be very successful and bring happiness to driveways and green lanes nationwide. Did I mention that the Kodiaq is impressive?
Engine Active Ambition Style
1.4 TSI 125bhp Petrol 6-speed manual €28,795 €30,995 -
1.4 TSI 150HP DSG Petrol 6-speed auto €32,695 €34,595 €38,495
2.0 TDI 150HP DSG Diesel 7-speed auto - €35,495 €39,395
2.0 TDI 150HP 4X4 Diesel 6-speed manual - €36,495 €40,395
2.0 TDI 190HP DSG4X4 Diesel7-speed auto - €40,245 €44,145
* Prices shown exclude delivery charge of €600
** Prices above based on standard 5-seat model. 7-seat model available for an additional €1,000
*** Road tax varies according to model due to C02 differences. Please consult your dealer.
- 17” Alloy (Ratikon)
- Black Roof Rails
- Luggage Compartment Lighting
- Forward Collision Warning
- Cruise Control
- Dimming breakaway interior rear view mirror
- Multi-function display
- Centre armrest in front
- 8 Loudspeakers
- Smartlink Smartphone Integration*
- (Apple CarPlay / Google Android Auto)
- Mobile phone preparation
- Hill Start Assist
- Driver knee airbag with passenger airbag
- Curtain airbags and side airbags front
- Private emergency call system – “E-Call”
- ŠKODA Connect: Care Connect (1 Year)
Ambition (In addition to Active)
- 18” Alloy (Triton)
- Scuff plates in door
- Kessy Go (Keyless Engine Start)
- Silver Roof Rails
- Storage drawers under front seats
- Boot net
- Parking sensors (front and rear)
- Front fog lamps
- Upgraded rear LED lights
- Light assist + rain sensor
- Electrically operated mirrors
- Driver and passenger seats with lumbar support
- Rear seat bench/backrest, split folding
- Mechanical rear seat release
- 8” Bolero Touch Screen Radio
- Interior light in footwell
- Sunset tinted windows
- Triple zone air conditioning
- Chrome detailing around windows
Style (In addition to Ambition)
- 19” Alloy (Triglav)
- Kessy Full (Keyless Car Unlock & Keyless Engine Start)
- Detachable luggage compartment lamp
- Full LED front headlamps (with Adaptive Frontlight System)
- Interior Ambient Lighting with 10 colour selections
- Telescopic front headlight washers
- 8” Columbus Touch Screen Radio & Navigation Unit
- ŠKODA Connect: Navigation Services (1 Year)
- ŠKODA Connect: Infotainment Services (1 Year)
- DAB Radio
- Mirror Link & Wireless RSE App
- 4G LTE SIM Card Slot
- Interior light in footwell front and rear
- Black Alcantara/Leather upholstery
- Rear view camera