November next will see the very fetching BMW M850 glide on to our streets. Two model variants, the BMW M850i xDrive Coupe M Performance model with new a healthy 530hp V8 engine and BMW 840d xDrive Coupe with six-cylinder in-line diesel unit developing 320hp are on the menu. Prices start at €125,725 OTR
This all new car has been developed parallel to the BMW M8 and the BMW M8 GTE endurance racer, sitting low and purposeful, we can take for granted that this executive coupe will have all the ingredients drivers magnetise to. The talents of this BMW 8-Series includes, low centre of gravity, well-balanced weight distribution, lightweight construction using aluminium, magnesium and carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP), aerodynamically optimised and virtually lift-free body, powerful engines, sports exhaust system, rear axle differential lock, extremely stiff body and suspension structure.
Also as standard on the 8-Series is Adaptive M suspension, Integral Active Steering and mixed-size tyres come as standard, with Active roll stabilisation optionally available for the BMW M850i xDrive Coupe.
Wearing the slimmest headlights of any BMW model to date, the 2018 8-Series comes with LED headlights as standard, Adaptive LED Headlights and BMW Laserlight with Selective Beam and extended high beam range of up to 600 metres available as options.
BMW 8-Series has an exterior length of 4,843 mm, a width of 1,902 mm, a height of 1,341 mm and a 2,822 mm wheelbase. Options include M carbon roof and M Carbon exterior package with air intake slats, exterior mirror covers, rear spoiler and rear diffuser in CFRP.
Technology and Infotainment
Standard equipment includes new BMW Operating System 7.0 display and control concept. BMW Live Cockpit Professional including fully digital instrument cluster and 10.25-inch Control Display with consistent, modern graphics.
Flat, touch-oriented menu structure allows for fast access to settings and functions. Customisable display adapts to the situation at hand and provides the driver with the right information at the right time.
BMW Digital Key permits access to the vehicle and engine start by smartphone. You can also get:
- software updates “over the air”
- Integration of Microsoft Office 365 and Skype for Business
- Parking Assistant – automated guidance for parallel and perpendicular parking.
- Reversing Assistant steers the vehicle when reversing over a distance of up to 50 metres on the same course as the last completed forward parking manoeuvre.
- Latest version of the BMW Head-Up Display has a 16 per cent larger projection surface, optimised 3D graphics and additional display content.
- Further progress towards automated driving, with Driving Assistant Professional including Active Cruise Control and Stop & Go function, Steering and lane control assistant, Lane Change Warning and Lane Departure Warning, side collision protection, evasion aid, distance information, Crossing traffic warning, Priority warning and Wrong-way warning.