We witnessed two collisions within yards of each other on Dublin’s M50 this morning. What a bummer of a way to start the weekend! Human error is a major factor in incidents on the road, but aggressive driving also plays its part.
The daily grind can be tough. With the pressures of work and family commitments we can all get frustrated from time to time. However, it’s important to try to leave it behind you when you get into your car.
Aggressive driving is a significant factor in a substantial number of road collisions each year. How’s your driving?
We’ve drawn up a quick checklist of Aggressive Driving Indicators below. How many of these acts have you already committed today? Be honest with yourself, are you an Aggressive Driver?
- Making rude gestures at other drivers, cyclists or pedestrians
- Overtaking on the hard shoulder
- Pulling into a parking space, when you know that someone else has been waiting for it.
- Failing to yield to merging traffic
- Flashing high beams at the car in front of you
- Waiting until the last second to merge with traffic on the motorway or leave the motorway
- Changing lanes without signaling
- Driving through an amber light that is turning red
- Blowing the horn as a rebuke
- Double parking
- Driving 15 kph or more under the speed limit
If you recognize a few of these habits as part of your daily routine on the road, maybe it’s time to cool down, and reduce your risk of being involved in a collision. Arrive safe.
By Tony Toner, BeepBeep.ie Motoring Correspondent.